The ancient fortress of Skiathos called Bourtzi, is located on a small peninsula, dividing the town port into two distinct locations, the Old Port and the New Port.
In the course of history, Bourtzi has seen many changes. First built by the Gizi Brothers in 1207 during the Venetian occupation, it was a fortress designed for protection against marauding pirates. Later, after the liberation from the Turks, it was on Bourtzi that the first quarantine of the island was opened, while in 1906, in the center of the peninsula, a primary school was built. Today, the Bourtzi serves as the Cultural Center of Skiathos, with the Maritime Cultural Museum, and a stage for summer performances, ranging from art exhibits, music and traditional folk dancing events, to theatre shows.
It is the official venue for civil weddings and is also very popular with foreigners seeking a destination wedding.
With its panoramic view of the open sea, the romantic Bourtzi invites you to linger in the shadow of its pine trees, while watching the lively comings and goings of ferries, sailboats, yachts and colourful kaikis.
Another feature making the Bourtzi very special, is its location. Just above the crystal clear waters, right here, in the middle of Skiathos town. After strolling the old town’s alleys, step down from the Bourtzi Café to the rocks below, and cool off with a dip, without even having to go to a beach.